"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, May 04, 2017

The Millionaire and the Bard - Henry Folger's Obsessive Hunt for Shakespeare's First Folio (Andrea Mays, 2015)

(281 pages)

Surprisingly similar to this just-read book.  In both cases the author tries to make a book-length story out of something that should be much shorter.  And the stories are somewhat similar - seeking earliest copies of some of the most famous, and best, literature in the world.  With way too much time spent on the details of the chase - when more information about the historical setting would have been far more useful.

The Quaritch book store in London (which I'd never heard of previously) even figures in both stories.

Henry Folger made his money as a senior executive with John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil companies.  Somehow he got the collecting bug - but unlike many wealthy collectors in those days, he specialized.  And ended up with a colossal haul of Shakespeare materials.

The most interesting part was the explanation about why Shakespeare himself hadn't bothered putting the works into formal written format; the source materials that the two compilers - both knew Shakespeare well - could have worked from in coming up with the First Folio.  The printing process.  Paper was expensive!  Shakespeare not so widely known for some time, then becomes much more recognized as 18th century passes.  Samuel Johnson a big fan.

Biographical information on Folger, of course, including details about his disposition of the collection.  Mrs. Folger a key player throughout.

Now I need to visit the Folger Shakespeare Library.

No comments: