"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Full House - The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin (Stephen Jay Gould, 1996)

(228 pp)

Book club selection (via Lon; session held 24 September 2017).

The various ideas in this book were interesting, though it wasn't always clear to me how they fit together.  Main theme seemed to be debunking the idea (or our somewhat sentimental attachment to the idea) of evolutionary linear progress - the notion that creatures on planet Earth today, especially humans, were somehow destined to end up in their current format.  Emphasizes the randomness of evolution; and that simpler organisms also are hugely (if not more) successful (see bacteria, antelopes).  Darwin himself didn't see evolution as embodying general upward progress, but as a response to local conditions (can't say I picked up on that here), though he softened that message because of the implications.   

Also some useful discussions of statistics, with focus on left wall/right wall analyses.  Helpful in dealing with the deluge of statistical claims that we encounter (so often skewed to support whatever narrative is being promoted).  Lots of baseball discussion - 1996 so preceding much of the analytics advances - I certainly agree with his idea that the demise of the .400 hitter results from improved play (not deteriorating hitting skills).

The "right wall" - areas where humans are pushing toward it - how far can sprinting/running records fall?  The idea that German composers (he uses dates 1685-1828) progressed so far that others have given up trying to improve and branched into different areas; perhaps also in painting, where representational techniques were pretty much perfected.

No comments: