"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, December 06, 2019

Bleak House (Charles Dickens, serialized 1852-53)

(989 pages)

Famous novel built around the fictional interminable chancery case Jarndyce v. Jarndyce.

Dickens masterful at painting scenes . . . early/favorite example is the three spending an evening at Jellyby's (interested in Africa, children bouncing 'round the premises, unkempt) - perhaps not an obviously entrancing scene, but he makes it so

Tulkinghorn counsel for Dedlock (Chesney Wold); Ms. Dedlock recognizes handwriting, Tulkinghorn investigates, opium-taker dead

distantly related to Jarndyce of Bleak House, his niece Ada, her cousin

Esther as Ada's companion; raised by aunt; placed for a few years at a school for governesses where she thrived

Jellyby a do-gooder in London

some other do-gooder near Bleak House; she visits the brickmaker's family, where infant dies

so many threads left dangling until the end, but it works

interesting to think of the serial approach

divided between Esther's narrative and "regular" writing

little things that give a sense of life in those days . . . I appreciate . . . on the journey with Mr. Bucket (who turns out to be a significant character), Esther gets cold and wet . . . including from the need for passengers to alight and walk up slippery/slushy hills when horses struggled

Esther, her guardian, and Dr. Woodcourt as idealized characters

long, but well worth reading - I enjoyed this a great deal

No comments: