"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, December 02, 2019

There There (Tommy Orange, 2018)

(304 pages)

Book club selection (via Nicole; session held 1 December 2019).

Intersecting story lines of Native Americans mostly resident in Oakland, California - and generally struggling.  Leading up to a major pow-wow at the end.

Value to me was it gave some way of thinking about how that struggle might feel and play out.

Seemed like a lot of it was the "Native American as victim" story line.  Which I'm sure is quite accurate, but I'm not sure how helpful it is to keep focusing on.  I don't think America in 1491 was idyllic, either - shifting populations, violence, etc. - the odd notion that failing to freeze 1491 status quo was somehow wrong.  Populations were conquered around the globe since forever - whether via Romans, the tribes that conquered Rome, the Arabs, whatever it might be. 

Alcatraz sit-in is part of the story, I remember that as getting a lot of attention in the '70s.

No comments: