"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Augustus (John Williams, 1972)

(305 pages)

Story of Augustus (Octavius) is told in epistolary form.  Gave me a better feel for this era.  Hadn't realized (or had forgotten) that Augustus started with a triumvirate (Marc Antony, Lepidus); that his ascension was a rather close-run affair.  Brutus; Cassius; Livy; Cicero.  Cleopatra.

His three early friends, especially Marcus Agrippa.

Isolation, perhaps unhappiness, in this retelling of the holder of so much power.  Remarkably long life, established the role of "emperor" as a real thing in Rome; established meaningful stability.

More focus on his daughter (Julia) than I needed - she was harmed by availability to power more than Octavius - hard times for talented women in imperial families (or elsewhere, I suppose). 

Useful counterpoint to Shakespeare's telling of this story

No comments: