"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

The Complete Professor Challenger Stories (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

I'm a big fan of The Lost World - recently re-read it because of connection to a book club selection.

Hadn't previously seen other Professor Challenger stories.  This volume was a birthday gift from Charlie . . . who had received it from Carol.

The Poison Belt - the earth passes through an area of space that threatens to wipe out human life.

The Land of Mist - this is just pretty weird - ACD was into the occult stuff (as was the case for many of his era).

The Disintegration Machine - short, just what it sounds like, the inventor is trying to sell it to a hostile foreign power.

When the World Screamed - Challenger leads a deep dig.

Generally the same characters as in The Lost World.  Bickering with Summerlee.  Lord John Roxton.  Malone.

No comments: