"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, July 29, 2021

The Troll Garden (Willa Cather, 1905)

(131 pages)

Collection of early short stories by a favorite author.

Flavia and Her Artists - Flavia overestimates her connection to (and perhaps the value of) artists she hosts.

The Sculptor's Funeral - a Boston student accompanies the remains of his teacher (a famours sculptor) for burial back in rural Nebraska.  Unflattering portrayal of the locals.

The Garden Lodge - protagonist overcomes difficult upbringing, marries money, is very practical, runs into famous tenor - this makes her consider some things.

A Death in the Desert - protagonist has uncanny resemblance to his world-famous musician-brother; traveling west he encounters a dying woman who initially is interested in him because of that resemblance.

The Marriage of Phaedra - famous painting.

A Wagner Matinee - probably my favorite of this group - musician marries a mediocre guy who tries to make a living out on the frontier - no piano but a dugout instead - made me think about just how isolated those early pioneers were.

Paul's Case - protagonist is a daydreamer who can't continue in high school and way over-values the theater and the life he imagines is associated with it.  Goes from oppressive small town to NYC.

No comments: