"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, November 02, 2021

The Old Curiosity Shop (Charles Dickens, 1841)

(555 pages)

I was much interested in this particular Dickens work - partly because of the descriptions in his biography of readers in America - as installations of the serialized book reached American shores, supposedly crowds on the waterfront were shouting "What happened to Little Nell?"

But in the story arc, I found Little Nell a bit flat.  And her grandfather a bit annoying.

Swiveller - an unexpected role!  The schoolmaster plays a key role.  The "small servant" at the law firm, also.  Kit (and his mother), Barbara (and her mother).

The dwarf (Quilp) - drove a lot of action; mostly comic character.  Nell's unkind brother.  The two lawyers aren't very nice.

I read this immediately after the Joseph Conrad novel described below.  OK the two authors are going for different things.  But the difference in character-drawing is so striking.  Dickens characters often one-dimensional, but he's effective at driving a plot using this.  Conrad characters so much more balanced, complicated.  

These are just enjoyable reads.

No comments: