"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

A Handful of Dust (Evelyn Waugh, 1934)

(273 pages)

As with other Waugh novels - set between the wars, in a world where traditional Brit aristocracy is experiencing rapid change.

Tony Last loves his huge traditional estate and all the accompanying duties and expenses (which limit spending on anything else); his wife Brenda less fond of the house, she starts spending  more time in London, takes a flat, hangs with John Beaver.

Tony eventually takes a trip to South America with an explorer, because of circumstances.  Meets a strange host who saves his life.

I didn't much care for the book in the early going but am glad I stuck with it.  The cover tells me that the Modern Library selected it "as among the 100 best novels of the twentieth century" - go figure.

I preferred Sword of Honor and Brideshead Revisited.

No comments: