"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, December 01, 2022

Endurance (Alfred Lansing, 1959)

(353 pages)

I thought I was pretty familiar with the Shackleton expedition.  But not really. For one thing, I wasn't even aware of this book - available for over 60 years - and I didn't know that so many diaries and logbooks were available.  The author relies on those sources - detailed, intimate; he's skillful at working with this.

The chairman of the board of a publicly-held company that I represented was a direct descendant of Shackleton, and it was interesting talking to him back in the day; he had traveled to Antarctica.  Neither here nor there.

I was pretty far into this book when hanging out with my dad during his last days. We talked about this in quite a bit of detail - he had great recall about aspects I hadn't known about, such as crossing the island. Like most of us, I think he was most impressed by the navigation skills - just incredible that the island was found - even more incredible when considering the description in this book of some of the details of the navigation challenges (not that I understood them very well).

General courage and good spirits through so much; perhaps author being a bit kind, but numerous time he states when folks faltered - impressive.

Building the ship; its fight against pack ice; a good follow-on to "Six Frigates."

The magnitude of the drift and life on an ice floe  in that part of the world; the complete isolation - wow.

The photos - I had no idea these survived - incredibly interesting.

The challenge for the author of writing day after day of highly similar things - yet it did not feel repetitive. Somehow.  Episodes - 

--living on icebound Endurance

--Mark Time Camp - near the boat

--Patience Camp

--a few days on a floe

--Boat trip to Elephant Island

--boat trip to South Georgia Island

--Crossing the center of the Island

--Traveling through ice back to Elephant Island

No comments: