"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Die with Zero (Bill Perkins, 2020)

203 pages.

Author's premise is that too many people wait too long to spend their money, quit or downsize their jobs, etc.  I think this is true in many cases, but the book would be mostly of interest to folks with a lot of $$.

Nonetheless - a lot of good ideas on a topic that doesn't get enough attention. Quick read.

I thought a little too much focus on the idea that fulfillment in life depends on experiences which in turn are created by spending money earlier in life.  That's not the author's whole focus by any means - he certainly does also mention and emphasize giving away money to charities and/or children earlier.  But it's given more importance than I think it merits.

Interesting read in part because we are in early retiree years and lucky to have good health - go time.

Author mentions connection to University of Iowa college football, his dad played in early '60s.  So I looked up Don Perkins - turns out to be author's uncle.


No comments: