"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, August 02, 2014

The Siege (Helen Dunmore, 2001)

Novel is set in the amazing, horrific siege of Leningrad in World War II.  Father, daughter and much younger son (mother died in childbirth so son effectively is being raised by the daughter) try to survive through the siege (with a focus on the awful first winter); as that winter grinds on, they are joined in their flat by an aging, out-of-favor actress and a young doctor.

The story of the siege is told in detail in The 900 Days, a very wonderful book that is discussed here.

I'd strongly recommend reading The 900 Days, and it would be OK to skip this little volume.

Not that it's awful - at worst, it's an accessible way to get a feeling for the situation.  A somewhat more personal interpretation of how it might have felt on starvation rations in those freezing Leningrad apartments.  But that aspect also comes through pretty clearly in The 900 Days, accompanied by a description of the wider context that makes the individual survival stories even more compelling.

No comments: