"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ethan Frome (Edith Wharton, 1911)

Short novel, read it on the recent plane flight to DC.

I really enjoy Edith Wharton's books (see list here). This particular novel is well known for, among other things, being very different than Wharton's other works. I liked it quite a bit, but would say it isn't what I was really looking for in a Wharton novel.

This one is tense and sad. Ethan Frome is isolated in rural Vermont; had to take care of ailing parents. Ends up marrying a hypochondriac. Very limited economically; loveless marriage. All the more difficult to deal with given that he had a brief glimpse of life on the outside during a short college stint.

The hypochondriac wife needs help, and her cousin is brought to live with Ethan and wife. The cousin is the opposite of what Ethan has suffered with - pretty, lively, optimistic. They hit it off. Hypochondriac of course becomes jealous and arranges a replacement helper. Bad things ensue.

No comments: