"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, July 29, 2011

Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand, 2010)

This book was a father's day gift from Nicole.

It is a remarkable story - yet another instance where if a novelist tried to sell a story like this, it would seem too farfetched to succeed.  I can scarcely believe that I've never heard a word about the subject of the biography - Louis Zamperini.

Some thoughts about Zamperini:
  1. In early years:  basically a juvenile delinquent in Torrance, CA.
  2. Older brother figured out that Louis could succeed as a track athlete.  As a high school graduate (!) - he competes in the 5000 meters at the Berlin Olympics.  And has an interaction with Hitler.
  3. Several amazing missions in the South Pacific following Pearl Harbor - his crew, or at least most of it, survives.
  4. But his crew next ends up taking an undesirable plane - the B-24 Green Hornet - on a search and rescue mission.  It crashes.  Louis and two others are on a raft for weeks.  Fighting off sharks.  Learning how to catch birds and fish.
  5. Experiences in various prison camps - particularly when the "Bird" identifies Louis as a high-profile target and regularly abuses him.  In camps in mainland Japan when B-29 incendiary bombing starts, and when the atomic bomb is dropped.
  6. Challenges - severe - in returning to civilian life.  Ultimately figures it out.  
  7. And how cool:  he runs a segment of the torch run for the 1998 Olympics at age 81 - in Nagano, Japan.
The author did a great job - made the difficulties for the soldiers, prisoners and families come to life.

No comments: