"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gallery opportunities

Two galleries recently.  I like taking cell phone photos (click to enlarge), if lousy, to help remember what we saw.

When visiting Kerry in DC, we had a chance to stop by the National Gallery (if briefly):



Monet (Houses of Parliament)

This is not from the art gallery.  But I like it.  If I had been around in WWII, I definitely would have joined a car-sharing club.

Also not from the art gallery.  This is from the WWII Italian campaign, made me think about what Irvin Bormann probably encountered in some form.


When visiting EPG in Santa Monica, we had a chance to stop by the Getty Center:

I like the Dutch landscape folks


Detail - another Dutch landscape

Rembrandt - detail from the Abduction of Europa - I like to enlarge and look at this.
Italian - composite of the story of Joseph (Old Testament) - starting with being cast into the well in upper left corner.  The characters look like Italian merchants . . . including, perhaps, contemporary patrons . . .

El Greco


In the galleries . . .
Brueghel the Elder - animals going into the ark

No comments: