"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, April 14, 2017

Incarnations - A History of India in Fifty Lives (Sunil Khilnani, 2016)

The author observes that India is often discussed in terms of groups and areas - that with few exceptions, we hear little about individuals.  So he sets out to write a book consisting entirely of short biographies of 50 individuals that he considers highly important in Indian history.  (Not all are Indian.)

I saw some favorable reviews; also a fair amount of criticism - how do you select the "right" 50? How to properly describe each in a few pages?  No doubt there are flaws.  But for an uninformed reader like me, I think this book is highly useful.  If nothing else it reinforces that India is really large, and really complicated, and has a history that is really long.

Geography, religion, caste, race, distance, language, etc.  "Diverse" doesn't begin to capture it - in some ways it seems almost impossible that India is even a single country (and one that probably should have been formed with Pakistan).

[Was thinking that the U.S. has many of the same potentially divisive factors but also many unifying principles not applicable to India - a far shorter history; everyone arrived as immigrants so expressly or implicitly "signed on" to the American project at some level; everyone learns English (so far); somehow our shared secular religion (in "America" as an idea), or perhaps just all the prosperity, or some combination, seems to override, for the most part, allegiance to particular religions that creates divisions elsewhere.  Etc.]

Not going to try to summarize 50 bios!  Mixture of religious, literary, artistic, political, figures from across the country; I tried to focus on those from the south.

Read the book - good baseline info!

Also:  would enjoy feedback from anyone that knows something about these 50.

No comments: