"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Wright Brothers (David McCullough, 2015)

Book club selection (via Emily; session held 9 April, 2017).

I have under-appreciated, or perhaps just not paid enough attention to, Wilbur and Orville.  Quick/easy retelling of their achievements; I liked it.

Also a useful next step to this history of ballooning - very close in time.

Incredible teamwork between the two; each was brilliant, practical, hardworking - a potent combination.  Almost unbelievable how they could move from bicycle shop to flying; how one of their employees could come up with a lightweight gas engine pretty much from scratch!  Conservative Midwest family; author gives good background on their father and sister.

Three ideas I found interesting:

1.  I hadn't thought about how uniquely difficult "learning to fly" would be.  WB recognized that the previous aviation pioneers were not in the air enough to learn adequately - very few flights, very short duration, perhaps only minutes in the air in total - how to learn to handle flying, including inevitable difficulties such as cross-winds and the like?  How to spend enough time in the air - in those early phases where the plane wasn't properly designed, and the pilot was utterly inexperienced - without getting killed or seriously injured?  WB spent time gliding at low altitude; spent time tethered; Kitty Hawk was an ideal spot because it allowed relatively soft "in-sand" landings; etc.  (Kind of reminded me of Humphrey Davy figuring out anesthesia - how to safely learn?)

2.  Reiterates Matt Ridley's discussion of how tinkerers can lead science.  WB were theoreticians for sure, but seems like their practical/tinkerer side was more important.

3.  Reiterates Ridley's question (in same book as linked above) about inventions - i.e., how much difference does any one specific inventor make?  Ridley says "not much" - and that could well be the case here - as impressive as W and O's achievements, all of a sudden there were a raft of similar achievers coming along right behind (which Ridley explains is pretty typical) - the book doesn't address whether the close followers were derivative of WB's work, or making it on their own.

No comments: