"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Fixer (Bernard Malamud, 1966)

A ne'er-do-well "fixer" (someone who makes a living, sort of, as a handyman or doing small repairs) reluctantly moves from the shtetl - embarrassed that wife left him, looking for change - to Kiev.  Early 20th century.  Fixer uneducated but finds an interest in reading, picks up quite a bit of learning here and there (Spinoza).  Chain of circumstances leads him to reside and work, under a false name, in an area forbidden to Jews.  Christian child is murdered with multiple stab wounds; the fixer is arrested for ritual murder.

Malamud wins Pulitzer Prize for fiction for this novel.  I liked it.  Consistent with discussion of anti-Semitism in Russia as discussed in this review of the Romanov dynasty.  Belief in things like the forged "Protocols" even among the supposedly educated upper classes - in the 20th century.

I read that Malamud considered writing a novel about the Dreyfus affair (novel form here; history focus here) - certainly plenty of overlapping elements - but settled on this instead.  Prejudice, maltreatment in prison, entrenched institutional forces, false witnesses, emerging community support.  (Malamud's novel is based, pretty closely as I understand it, on a true story.)

Author has an interesting way of describing what the protagonist felt while imprisoned for a prolonged period awaiting indictment and trial.  Wife visits him in prison.  Father-in-law (Shmuel).  Conversations with an honest investigator, and later with his lawyer - author uses these as devices to lay out some history on Russian pogroms.

262 pp in this edition.

No comments: